Duramax 2.8 Colorado & Canyon Installation Guide
- Your kit includes the following:
- EXTREME X1 filter housing and filter element refill
- 2.5″ and 3.7″ of hose
- (a) Duramax oil filler cap
- (b) 1 Under the hood bracket
- (c) 2 male JIC fittings (6MP)
- (d) 2 female 6JIC elbow fittings
- (e) 2 female 6JIC straight fitting
- (f) 1 male JIC fitting (2MP)
- (g) 1 elbow JIC fitting (2MP)
- (h) Parker tee fitting
- (i) (optional) Universal mount with hardware for alternative mounting
Additional items you will need: Teflon tape or thread sealer and zip ties.
- Install elbow fitting (part “g”) securely into the oil filler cap (part “a”) using thread sealer or teflon tape (see image below). Replace your stock oil filler cap with this new oil filler cap.
- Apply teflon tape to the two straight JIC fittings (part “c”) and insert them into the “IN” and “OUT” port of your EXTREME X2 filter housing. Install as firmly and deeply as possible. TIP: To avoid scratching your new filter you can use the bracket, and a vice, to hold the filter in place while you tighten the fittings. See images below.
- Insert one female 6JIC elbow (part “d”) and one female 6JIC straight fitting (part “e”) into each of the two hoses. TIP: Apply oil, lubricant, or water on the fittings to make inserting them into the hose easier. You can use a hard surface to push the hose into the fitting (see example below) and you know you have inserted the fittings securely when the yellow guard will no longer spin around. See image below for example:
REMOVE THE AIR INTAKE HOSE TO MAKE ROOM
We’ll be working mostly around the passenger side of the engine, remove the air intake hose to make room.
OIL PRESSURE PORT
- Locate the stock oil filter housing found on the passenger side of your vehicle. Locate the oil sensor that is positioned towards the front of your vehicle. See image below for reference.
- Carefully disconnect the wire from the oil sensor:
- Pull the lock tab open by pulling it away from the oil sensor, you can feel it click open.
- Once the lock tab is open you can squeeze it inward to release the cable from the sensor.
- See image below for reference.
- Once the cable is disconnected remove the oil sensor (24mm socket wrench)
- Apply thread sealant and insert the tee fitting (part “h”) in the oil sensor’s place (14mm wrench) TIP: The tee fitting has a “lock nut” that allows you tighten the fitting while aiming the center branch to an accessible position. First tighten the entire tee fitting as much as you can, position the center branch to where you can easily access it, then tighten the lock nut. See image below
- Apply sealant and insert your oil sensor into the end branch of the tee fitting. Reconnect the oil sensor cable.
- Apply sealant and insert part “f” into the center branch of the tee fitting. Once complete it should look like this …
CONNECT THE HOSE TO THE TEE FITTING
- Now connect and tighten the hose (part “e”) to the center branch of the tee (part “f”). Place the hose aside for now and begin working on the mounting location.
CONNECT BOTH HOSES TO THE FILTER HOUSING
- Connect the hoses to the housing by connecting the two JIC elbows (part “d”) to the straight fittings on the bottom of the Extreme bypass oil filter housing (part “c”). The hose from the pressure port should go into the area marked “IN” and the hose that connects to the oil filler cap should be inserted into the area marked “OUT”.
WHERE TO MOUNT THE FILTER
- Remove the cover shield to gain access to the mounting bolt seen in the image below.
- The primary mounting location is under the hood on the passenger side. Towards the front of your vehicle you will see a bolt that you can remove and re-use to mount the “Under-the-Hood” bracket (part “b”) See images below for reference. Note: We’ve provided you with a separate universal bracket (part “i“) just in case you would like to mount your filter in a different location, we suggest mounting it under the radiator fluid as an alternative location.
INSERT EXTREME FILTER HOUSING INTO THE BRACKET
- Insert Extreme filter into the ring of the bracket and tighten the bracket with a #6 hex key, be sure to leave enough room to close the hood of your engine.
- The hose connected to the OUT port of the EXTREME X1 filter now needs to be connected the oil filler cap.
- Route the hose away from anything hot, sharp, or moving. Use zip ties if needed.
- Be sure a filter element is inserted inside your filter housing.
- Tighten your filter housing cap (25-30ft lbs torque as of 2021) with a 3/8 hex tool. Do not over tighten the cap or you may damage the o-ring.
- Verify all fittings are tight and hoses are safely routed, secured, and protected.
- For best results change the stock filter and oil at this time.
- Run engine for 30 seconds and check for leaks.
- Top-off oil as necessary, the EXTREME filter increases oil capacity about 1 quart (top off oil as you normally would by removing the oil filler cap and pouring oil through the oil filler spout). Check your oil levels.
- Now run engine to temperature and drive around the block and verify no engine leaks once engine operating temperature and pressures are reached.
Congratulations! You’ve completed the installation of your EXTREME bypass oil filter!
Need assistance? Contact us at:
Phone: (801) 901-0667 | MON-FRI, 9am-5pm MST
Assembly and installation should be completed (or modified) by professional/skilled mechanic or technician.