- Remove your stock oil filter to make room to access the oil pressure sending unit
- The oil pressure sending unit is located here (see image below)
- Remove the connector from the oil pressure sending unit by following the instructions seen below:
- Use a 27mm deep socket wrench to remove your oil sending unit
- Place the washer (provided to you with part #f) onto your oil sending unit, apply teflon or other sealant, and secure the sending unit into the T fitting (part #f). See image below for reference:
- Apply teflon tape or other sealant to the other side of the T fitting (part #f) and use a 22mm wrench to securely insert it back into your oil filter housing. Apply sealant to part #d and use a 16mm socket/wrench to insert it into the center branch of your T fitting (part #f). Reconnect the sending unit wire. When this is complete your oil sending port should look like the image below: TIP: The tee fitting has a “lock nut” that allows you tighten the fitting while aiming the center branch to an accessible position. First tighten the entire tee fitting as much as you can, position the center branch to where you can easily access it, then tighten the lock nut to secure the fitting.
- Now connect and tighten the 6 ft hose fitting (part “c”) to the center branch of the T (part “d”). Place the hose aside for now and begin working on the mounting location. See image below for reference:
WHERE TO MOUNT THE FILTER
FRAME MOUNT OPTION
- The primary mounting location is on the driver side frame (near the transfer case), use the length of the hose to help determine the best location on your frame.
- Use your universal frame mount bracket (part #g) to determine where the holes will be made to secure the bracket.
- We used a self tapping screw (#14 size) to make two holes in the frame, we slipped the bracket underneath the wiring and secured the bracket to the frame with the tapping screws. See image below for reference:
- Be sure a filter element is inserted inside your filter housing.
- Tighten your filter housing cap to about 8-10ft lbs torque with a 3/8 hex tool. Do not over tighten the cap or you may damage the o-ring.
- Use the universal bracket hardware (part #g) to secure your new EXTREME X2 housing to the universal mounting bracket. See image below for reference:
- Secure both hoses to the bottom of the EXTREME X2 filter housing. The port labeled “IN” should be connected to the pressure port hose. The port labeled “OUT” goes to the oil filler cap. See image below for reference:
“UNDER THE HOOD” MOUNT OPTION
Use the following instructions and the image below to install the “under the hood” bracket.
1) Carefully move this coolant line about an inch out of the way to make room for the bracket and the housing.
2) Remove the bolt seen in the image below (#2), this is where the tip of your bracket will be bolted too using the original bolt you just removed.
3) You may need place a couple washers beneath the bracket in this area (#3) to level it out, then use a bolt and nut to tighten it in place.
4) Place your filter housing in the bracket and be sure it will clear the hood when the hood closes. Use #6 hex key to tighten the bracket and secure the filter housing.
- The hose connected to the OUT port of the EXTREME X2 filter now needs to be connected the oil filler cap.
- Route the hose away from anything hot, sharp, or moving. Use zip ties to secure the hoses and try to keep them protected from vibration/abrasion.