Cummins 5.9, 6.7 Frame Mount Installation Guide
1) Change stock oil filter and oil.
2) Install elbow fitting securely into ported Billet Oil Filler Cap using thread sealer or Teflon tape.
3) Remove stock oil filler cap and install ported Billet Oil Filler Cap.
4) Locate the stock oil filter housing on the passenger side of the engine. 5a) Remove one pressure plug, located on top of the stock oil filter housing. Visible from top of the engine.
5) 6.7L ONLY: Thread in the low-profile elbow adaptor fitting (2MP to 2FP 90) to the vacated port using thread sealer. If necessary, carefully pry the hard cooling away just enough to seat and thread the elbow. It’s very tight. Then thread in the straight 2MP to 6MJ (see picture below) adaptor fitting, also using thread sealer on the pipe threads (never on the hose thread side.)
5) 5.9L ONLY: Thread in the straight 6MJ to 2MP adaptor fitting into the vacated port on top of oil filter housing using thread sealer. Ignore (do not use) the 2MP to 2FP adaptor.
Note: 5.9L location is almost exact same and 6.7L but usually the elbow adaptor is not needed, just the straight adaptor fitting. See picture at end of document
6) Install EXTREME Filter BRACKET onto frame near to stock oil filter. Usually the outside of the frame right behind the passenger front tire is best. You may utilize a hole already on the frame and drill a second hole using the bracket as a template. Securely mount the bracket to the frame using the supplied hardware bolts/nuts.
7) Install the EXTREME Filter housing hose adapter fittings into both the “IN” and “OUT” ports using thread sealer or Teflon tape as firmly and deeply as possible. See video below for prepping guide
8) Install EXTREME Filter into bracket using supplied hardware as pictured above.
9) Install 5.5’ line(hose) and route from stock oil filter housing fitting to the “IN” port (center most port) fitting on bottom of the EXTREME Oil Filter housing. Remember to avoid sharp edges, hot surfaces, and moving parts and leaving a little slack for engine movement when routing the hose.
10) Install 7’ line on EXTREME Filter housing “OUT” port fitting (nearest edge of filter) and route to new Oil Filler Cap, avoiding sharp edges, hot surfaces, and moving parts. Use ties as necessary to secure safely.
11) Verify all fittings are tight and hoses are safely routed, secured, and protected. Run engine for 10-30 seconds and check for leaks. Top off oil as necessary (the EXTREME filter increases oil capacity about 1 Quart.
12) Once it is verified there are no leaks, run engine to temperature and under load (around the block) and verify no engine leaks once engine operating temperature and pressures are reached.
Congratulations! You now have the best oil filter you can get! In just a half an hour of engine run time you will notice the character of the oil has already radically changed. The oil will likely not be clear at first or for several thousand miles but it will be technically as clean or cleaner than new oil (smaller particles and fewer particles than new oil)
EXTREME Oil Filler Cap w/swivel port
Cummins 5.9L Pressure port location:
- Verify all fittings are tight and hoses are safely routed, secured, and protected.
- For best results change the stock filter and oil at this time.
- Run engine for 30 seconds and check for leaks.
- Top-off oil as necessary, the EXTREME filter increases the oil capacity of your engine, check your oil levels and it off as you normally would by removing the oil filler cap and pouring oil through the oil filler spout.
- Now run engine to temperature and drive around the block then verify no engine leaks once engine operating temperature and pressures are reached.
Congratulations! You’ve completed the installation of your EXTREME bypass oil filter!
Need assistance? Contact us at:
Phone: (801) 901-0667 | MON-FRI, 9am-5pm MST
We recommend that assembly and installation be done (or modified) by professional/skilled mechanic or technician.